Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Journal, May 27, 2012

Aggravated with the weight thing today.  I didn't cheat even a little bit yesterday and what do I have to show for it, my weight is up 0.4 pounds since yesterday.  Grrrrr.  Maybe I ate too much fruit - it was delicious though.  Laura makes the best salads.

This morning I woke up around 5:30 and headed down to the scrap room.  I'm so far behind on Project Life it's a joke, so in order to try to get that caught up, the first step is to organize all of the "stuff" I'm keeping that should be put in my Project Life binder.  Once that's done, I'll be able to pull a week's worth of "stuff" at a time and the photos and put this together.

I also took a lot of pictures this morning that I've been meaning to take pictures of for awhile - things around the house that go with stories that I want to remember.  I downloaded all of the pictures off of the camera and organized all of them.

This morning was all about organizing for Project Life.

Then it was time to get ready to head to Phill and Christina's for our Memorial Day Celebration.  Steve was there too which was great - it's awesome to spend time with family and this weekend was definitely full of all of that, which makes me super happy.

We stopped at the grocery store and then were on our way and I must document this momentous occasion.  I'm talking an occasion that is Haley's comet rare.  Stew actually got mad today.  There was a guy behind us at the red light right before the 95S exit and apparently Stew didn't take off fast enough from the light for him because the guy pulled into the shoulder to reach the exit first, then he slowed down to crawling in the exit.  I looked at Stew and he had this odd look on his face.  I said, "Are you upset?"  He said, "No, I'm plotting."  Coming out of the exit, Stew sped up to get around him in the exit.  After that was done, the weird face remained.  I said, "He made you mad."  Stew just smiled.  I had to look for lightning to see if it was about to strike me down for witnessing such a rare event.

Got to Phill's and GEP was in the pool.  Well, he was kind of in the pool.  He was hanging on to the pool's ladder.  Phill and Christina told him he needs to learn how to swim this summer - no more swim vest.  And I have to say, he's not upset about this at all, he's really eager to learn which I think is awesome.

He got out of the pool when we got there.  We got him a push pop lollipop from the store.  At one point he almost poked himself in the eye with the thing - that boy has talent, especially considering that he can just about pick his nose with his tongue - which he really likes to show off.  Crazy kid.

Phill got started making the food - and he turned the grilling over to Steve today and I failed to get pictures of it.  It was almost like the passing of the torch.  Phill came inside and let Steve outside to grill.  You know how rare it is for a man to step aside and let someone else have control of the grill so this was something else.  In fact, it pumped Steve up a lot - he was talking all kinds of smack about how he can grill better than all of the others.  Oh boy - brother pride.  I stayed out of that pissing contest.

I will say though that I think the burgers were maybe the best I've ever tasted.  Holy cow.  I had two of them.  They were so good.  I just ate them plain.  No bun, no ketchup - just plain.  Delicious.

GEP was helping everyone to make their plates when it was time to eat because Christina told him that maybe after dinner we'd get in the pool with him.  So he was getting everyone's plates, putting rolls on them and basically just hurrying that process along.

Unfortunately, by the time every one ate, it turned a little cool out in the back yard and the pool water was already pretty cold so no one really wanted to brave the depths with the little man.  So, after seeing his pouty little face - I got on my bathing suit and slowly, s-l-o-w-l-y made my way into the pool.

We played in the pool for a long time.  Once I got in, I didn't want to get out for fear of the cold.  In fact, by the time we got out poor GEP's lips were blue and he was shivering so bad I don't think he could have controlled his limbs to swim - even still, it was momma that got him out of the pool, he would have stayed in it much longer than that.

We had to keep reminding him that when he takes a deep breath to start swimming to keep his mouth closed.  He has his own unique swimmer's face...


There's video of him swimming here on Smug Mug.

After swimming, GEP and Phill went out to roast marshmallows.

 (someone failed to realize the flash was off)

After this experience, I'm buying my brother a firepit or giving him mine.  Re-lighting the grill after it had already been lit once with a lighter means having your hand too close to the flame.  In fact he singed off the hair on his hand.  I had a bit of post traumatic anxiety or something when it happened.  His hand into the flame - it was a moment, that's for sure.

Didn't bother Phill or GEP much.  And Phill once again learned a lesson about being a dad.  When your kid chars his marshmallows beyond all recognition, be prepared to give up your perfectly warmed ones because the kid won't be eating the ones he did.  Makes me laugh.

We had dessert following the marshmallow escapades.  It was strawberry shortcake or modified strawberry short cake for some of us.  I had strawberries and whipped cream.  Stew had sponge cake, chocolate syrup and whipped cream.  GEP had strawberries, whipped cream, sponge cake, and chocolate syrup.  I think he liked it.




 We talked for awhile after dessert and then headed home since it was getting late.  Stew recorded the race so I was able to see Kasey win, in fast forward, of course - because once again, the racing is just boring.  I stole this picture from Yahoo - but I think the look on his face here says it all....


 It was then bedtime for Stew and me - we don't have any plans for tomorrow.  We'll decide what we're doing when he gets up.  We may not do anything, it's just going to depend on how we feel.

Some other stories from the day:

  1. Phill told me that I look more and more like our mother every time he sees me.  This isn't news to me, I see that every time I look in the mirror - but did he have to add, "even more today with the gray hair at your temples"?  I'm calling the salon first thing on Tuesday.
  2. GEP's dog Molly does not understand that she's a carnivore - he was eating leaves all day and then hacking them back up and eating them again - it's a snack that doesn't quit.
  3. Following GEP's dessert, he was looking at his Uncle Stew and said, "Wait for it, 5,4,3,2,1," and after Christina hit him on the back, he burped (he needed a little help to get it out, can't quite burp on demand like his father and uncles yet) and after he pulls off this feat he says, "Legendary."
  4. My brother Phill can be quite an ass - he all but ruined the season finale of How I Met Your Mother for Christina by telling her about Barney's wedding - I would have smacked him.  I hope he paid for it later.
  5. Stew and I were walking out of the grocery store and we had bought a watermelon and a cantaloupe.  Stew says, "Our melons are lopsided."  So sixth grade - right.  I told him my goal in life is to not laugh at any of his ridiculous jokes.  His goal then for the rest of the day was to tell as many as he possibly could, starting with, "I have a melon, her name is colly."  Sigh.  We told GEP this story and he then proceeded to help Stew in his cause by telling stupid jokes and then looking to his uncle for the "you rock" high five.
  6. GEP asked me what the definition of pure is.  I told him it's when something is only that thing there's nothing else in it.  He said, "Like pure evil?"  Oh dear.
  7. GEP had a bunch of games sitting on the table.  The conversation went like this -Me: What is sonic colors; GEP: I don't play that any more; Me: That's not what I asked you.  What is it?; GEP: Oh, it's a game where you have to beat all of these levels.  Well thanks a lot that clarifies everything.
  8. Apparently, my outgoing, not a little bit shy kid doesn't like to sing and dance in front of kids his own age.  He didn't do it when we went to the Phineas and Ferb concert and he apparently got time out at school for not participating in song and dance there.
  9. After GEP was finished with his dessert, he asked if anyone wanted the sponge cake that he had left on his plate.  After everyone told him no, he threw his napkin and it landed right on top of the cake.  He then proceeded to go, "WOOT, WOOT," and get high fives from everyone for his amazing show.
  10. As his Uncle Stew was taking pictures of him eating his dessert - he started posing for the camera.  Here's one of his Madonna Vogue shots:

11.  After Phill was being his normal self, Christina told him to stop being a certain non-repeatable word.  GEP said, "Good one," and held up his hand for his mom to give him the high five.  Christina told him, "I can't high five for that," to which GEP replied, "Do it, do it, do it," all while holding up his hand and continuing to eat his dessert.  I think he broke his mother at this point.


12.  I asked him to write his name in my notebook.  He did that and drew me a picture.  Awwwww.




No comments:

Post a Comment