Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Journal: April 14, 2012

Headed out with mom and dad today to go to the Eastern Neck Wildlife Sanctuary with the hope of spotting some birds.  We saw some hooded mergansers, canada geese, mallard ducks, there were a lot of osprey in the area and of course, the ever popular turkey vulture, but we wanted to see better, more awesome birds and did we ever.

Dad turned down the road to go to the Wildlife office and Stew yells out to stop the van.  I wanted to strangle him until I realized why he wanted us to stop.  Up in the tree was a bald eagle, just sitting there enjoying the nice spring day.  He stayed there for a very long time allowing us to observe him and take a few (okay, okay, a million) pictures of him.  We even heard him cry when he realized there were other eagles in the area.  In all we saw three bald eagles - amazing.  I'd seen them in zoos before and once when we were down at St. Michael's we saw one, but never this close.  The view with mom and dad's scope was incredible and we managed to get some really good pictures.  Only thing is every time we do this, I want to run out and buy a real bird lens for our camera - that's just not in the budget right now.

After we saw the eagles, I told every one that my day was complete and we could head on home.  Little did I know how accurate that statement would be.  We didn't see a whole lot of anything else during the trip.  Migration has sent most of the water fowl away for the year.  That didn't bother me.  I was quite content with the birds I got to see.


After our trip around the sanctuary, we headed out for lunch. 

We went to Waterman's Crab House.  The crabs were tasty and they were decent size, but empty.  Every one agreed that the lunch was okay - not awful, just not great.

On our way back, we took a ride through Elkton and dad pointed out a lot of his old stomping grounds.  It was so cool to see the places where he grew up.  One place was particularly special.


How cool is that?

We stopped at Brewsters and got ice cream on our way back home.

Awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment