Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Journal: July 3, 2012

Well our plans to check out the zoo were waylaid by a lazy morning of GEP playing video games and Christina and I talking.  We'll have to set it up to go another time.  Christina and I went to get our toes done - long overdue for me.  This is my first pedicure of the season, it was desperately needed.

GEP got his DS taken away this morning because he was being a bratty little kid and not speaking right to his mother - lucky for him though, his Mom felt bad about making him wait for us to get his toes done - so he got to play it during that, and during that only.  Mom doesn't mess around with him.



After our pedicures, we headed to Panera Bread for lunch.  Since neither Phill nor Stew like it that much and Christina and I really do when we don't have to deal with the husbands, that's our preferred place for lunch.  I got tuna today.

After Panera, we headed home and talked until Christina had to leave to go pick Phill up at their house.  Turns out their electricity is back on, but with our plans for tomorrow and more storms supposed to hit the area tonight, they figured they'd just crash here one more night - we're happy to have them, so it's no problem with us.

When Christina and Phill got back, we sent Phill and Stew to the store to get everything we'll need for our cookout tomorrow and told them that they needed to figure out dinner - Middle School lunch it was.  Fish sticks, tater tots and macaroni and cheese - Yummy!  Even GEP liked it.

Phill and family turned in rather early tonight - Stew and I stayed up and watched Act of Valor.  I didn't think that I'd be able to watch it.  You all know about my boycott on military movies until Shawn gets out of the Army - but this one had Navy SEALs and I really, really wanted to see it.  Turns out, I didn't shed not one tear.  I don't know what it was.  I didn't feel pulled into this movie or connected to these characters.  I don't know if it's because I knew that they were real people and not actors and knew that they were all still fine.  Or maybe it's because I watched the interviews first and saw how they were demonstrating what their lives are like and I knew it wasn't real action - I mean I know movies aren't real either, but that hasn't ever stopped me from getting attached to the characters so much and then crying when something happens to them, but this just felt like, I don't know, some kind of training activity or something - just in your face not real.  That being said, this movie just confirmed that these guys are bad ass.  I will say that they're a lot older than I assumed SEALs to be.  I think that could be because these guys were on their way out of the team, I mean, come on, that's the only way they would put these guys' faces out there. 

Stew said it was a good movie, but he felt like some of the dramatic license must have made the real SEALs roll their eyes.  Like I don't know anything about fragmentation grenades - but Stew said that there's no huge explosion with them.  Sometimes, being ignorant works to my movie watching advantage.

So all in all, I liked the movie and was glad that it didn't make me a crying, worried mess - especially since there's a possibility Shawn has another deployment coming before the end.

After the movie, we went to bed.  A relaxing day is planned for tomorrow - cooking out and pool time.  I'm looking forward to it.

And to leave you with a smile - check out the goof ball's silly face of the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment