Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Move More, Eat Well: January Assignment

My Weight Story



Where do I begin to tell my weight story?  For as long as I can remember, I have thought that I was fat.  I’ve always been bigger than the little twig girls that you see and that difference, in my head, made me think that I was fat.  Now, if you go back and you look at pictures of me as a kid, of pictures of me as recent as a few years out of high school and you’ll know that what my mind saw was very different than the body that I had.  I was an active child, always playing sports, always walking somewhere, always riding my bike, always exploring.  As I entered high school, my activity level started to slow down, but still I was active enough with all that I was doing that the weight didn’t pile on.  During my twenties it slowly started to creep and then when my mother died it felt like all I did was eat.  I eat to combat stress.  I eat to make myself feel better.  I eat when I’m overly happy and I eat when I’m sad.  I eat to celebrate.  I eat to drown sorrows.  I eat when I’m bored and I eat when I’m depressed.  I eat to keep myself awake and I eat to keep myself motivated.  All the very wrong answers for eating.  Eating is a necessary part of life, but it’s only real purpose is to fuel our body.  To give our cells the energy that they need to function.  It won’t give you a hug.  It won’t make you laugh.  It won’t lend a supportive word.  It will pack pounds on your hips and clench your heart.  The sad part for me is that the more weight I gain, the more discouraged I get about losing it.  I think some people see a number on a scale and think, holy hell, I need to get that down.  And though I have moments of that, I mostly see that number and think, what the hell is the point?  So, we have the unhealthy relationship with food.  We have the discouragement that the number presents and we have a recipe for disaster.  That’s where I’m coming from.  That’s where I am.  I can’t wait to see what will happen when I stick to this program.  Maybe food will be put back into its proper place.  Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.
 

My January One Thing
 

One of the things that I really need to change when it comes to my problem with over eating
is the constant need to be chewing something while I’m watching tv.  Television is a destructive hobby that I’ve indulged in for way too long.  It’s not productive.  So, the one thing that I’m going to focus on this month is to not sit in front of the television except for Friday laundry nights and other times that are pre-planned.  No more wasted time this way.  The added bonus of not doing this is that I won’t be eating.  And as far as eating is concerned.  No eating in front of the tv, unless it’s popcorn (unbuttered) on tv night.
______________________________________________________________________________
Move More, Eat Well is a class designed by Cathy Zielske for Big Picture Classes.  For more information, go here.
 

1 comment:

  1. I have a recommendation. Obviously you know from our recent conversations that I'm biased in this area but... I think it might help.

    Learn to knit or crochet.

    1. You can do it while you watch tv so it makes watching tv not a total waste of time. Because you're still DOING something and will eventually have something to show for all that couch time.

    2. You can't eat and knit at the same time because you don't want to get your knitting all oily or dirty. Especially since the longer you knit the pickier you get about your yarn. Once you've used "good" yarn you won't want to use the cheap stuff anymore. And when you're knitting with yarn you paid a bunch of money for, you won't be getting food on it. I promise you.

    3. Knitting travels well. Since you travel so often, you can take it with you to do on the plane if you want. In the airport. And then when you're in your hotel room, again watching tv... its there for you, keeping those hands busy.

    And then after all that tv watching you have... gifts. :)

    I'm just saying... ;)

    SG

    ReplyDelete