Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Journal: January 4, 2013

Woke up this morning when Stew did around 5AM.  It seems that if I go to bed around 10:30, getting up at 5 doesn't seem so terrible.  I'd like to push that bedtime back to being asleep at 10 and not crawling into bed at 10:30, but we'll see how it goes.  It's just another goal for the long list of goals I have for this year.

The day started off without anything planned but work, tv, and laundry night.  Didn't quite turn out that way.

I went right to work as soon as I woke up.  No shower, nothing, just the burning desire to get these things that are sitting on my to do list off of my to do list.  I got most of them done.  Sitting on the phone with Hertz for what felt like forever didn't help matters.  They didn't log my car in as returned the last time I rented from them and they had it being returned in Jacksonville, 3 days after I returned it in Baltimore.  Yeah, PROBLEM.  Had to get it fixed today so I can submit my expense reports.  It's fixed now, but the new receipt won't be available today.  Can't get that done.  Shoot!

Did some other work that was on my plate.

Attended the first teleconference for a class I'm retaking.  I signed up for Craft Your Business in November and fell behind and didn't finish.  The class is being offered again in January and it's free for people who took the November class so I'm going to try my best to work through it this time.  That's going to mean a lot of changes on my crafting blog, whenever I find time to re-introduce myself to web design.

The call was very informative and I feel like I'm learning a lot though truth be told, I really don't have a focus.  Of course, I'd love to make money scrapbooking - but doing what?  That's the part I can't figure out.  Now I don't believe for one second that I'm going to be able to quit my job and make a living scrapbooking, but making enough money to maybe cover the costs of my hobby wouldn't be a bad thing.  This requires more thought.

I started a new series on my blog today.  It's called Pinned It, Trying It.  I hope to have a post focused on that every Friday.  I pin a lot of stuff on Pinterest, but never really try any of them.  I'm going to resolve to change that.  Today's experiment was an epic fail - see the other post for that catastrophe.

I also spent some time researching tablets.  Stew bought me a Nexus 7 for Christmas and though it did a lot of cool stuff, I didn't feel that for the money it added anything to our already overwhelming collection of technology.  I hated to tell him that.  I really don't like it when I don't like a gift someone's given me.  It bothers me.  I want to love it all, but I guess sometimes, you can't.  As Stew tells me, he'd rather me be honest and get something I really want than to say I like it and never use it.  So I bit the bullet and told him and then we started looking for something that would really be productive for me.  I found a Windows tablet that I thought would work and we figured out that Walmart would take the Nexus back.  When I was looking on the Walmart website to see if they had the Windows tablet I wanted, I found the Samsung Galaxy Note.  As Stew describes it, it's like his phone on steroids.  I love that it has a stylus, that you can do photo editing on it, and take notes with it.  It's exactly what I wanted.

When Stew got home from work, we headed off to Walmart to return the Nexus and buy the Note.  The line for the returns at Walmart had me cringing.



However, much to my surprise they moved pretty quickly.  The woman at the customer service desk was very pleasant and very efficient.  I really should have gotten her name so that I could have written a letter to her manager.  She was one of the most pleasant people I've ever come across working there.

We left Walmart with my new little toy.



We were then on the search for dinner.  Why do we always want to go to dinner on a Friday night?  I guess it's because the rest of the world wants to go to dinner then, too?  We're not much for waiting for a table though - so no to Bertucci's, to Outback, to Red Robin, to Sakura - we finally settled on Chick Fil A to go.

We headed to Best Buy first though because there is an adapter that will hook to my camera and allow me to upload pictures directly from it using wifi - I wanted Stew to take a look at it and see if he thought this was something that would be helpful for me.  My biggest problem is that in order to get pictures off of the big camera, I have to be in the scraproom.  But if I want to journal and use those pictures - I journal upstairs in my bedroom.  It's my routine.  So I thought if there was some way that I could get the pictures to some device upstairs than I could be more timely in uploading my journal entries.  Unfortunately, they didn't have it.  What they did have was the new season of Sparticus, a cover for Stew's iPad, and an adapter for my Note that will allow you to hook a USB device to it - like my camera!

Headed to grab dinner and get home.  Major explosion of strawberry milkshake in the car - will someone please remind me the next time I get a milkshake from there to ask for a flat lit.  Those domed lids always pop off and I end up having to clean the car every time.  It's not like I want whipped cream on the darn thing anyway.

We ate dinner while watching Duck Dynasty.  Still loving that show.  It's an illness, I admit it.

We opened the Note while we were watching tv.  It's going to require a lot of playing to learn all that this thing can do - but I'm super duper excited about it!

I read a few more pages or in my case on the Kindle a few more percents of the book I'm reading and it was off to sleep for me.

Ohhh, one other thing I learned today - Google Drive - synched all of my computers, my phone and my Note - it's truly a thing of awesome!

And another thing I have to say today - this weekend may be the only weekend ever that I consider myself a Ravens' fan.  If I hate the Ravens, I hate the Colts more.  So goooooo Ravens.  Knock the hell out of them.  And if I'm really being honest, I'd like to see the Ravens win it all for Ray.  He's a great player and I think that would be a good way for him to retire.

(This was painted on the sidewalk outside of Best Buy - the whole city is starting to buzz.)


Stew's prediction is that Denver wins it all.  I don't have a prediction yet.  I'm a bitter Steelers' fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment