Howdie Family and Friends - here are the going ons in the life of me. Stew shows up frequently. My family and friends visit a lot. My nieces and nephews are represented throughout. It's all about me and how I'm traveling along in this thing I call my life.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Journal: October 3, 2012

Wow, what a long day, though it really feels like it was much longer than it was.

Woke up this morning in San Diego at 5:30 San Diego time.  Had to be at my site at 11 - moved it from 10 since the investigator wouldn't be available until 12:45, spent some time looking over all the sites on the internet that I read and went back and forth about whether or not to run, then it was do I just go to the hotel gym or do I run along the gorgeous waterfront right outside of my hotel.  Well, the question of whether to run or not was answered and I laced up my shoes, then decided on the elevator that I would take advantage of the weather and the scenery and run outside. 

My body is so not ready to run outside.  I didn't finish day 2 of the couch to 5K training.  I ran both of the 1.5 minute runs and half of the first 3 minute run, but walked the rest of it.  I actually went further today than I have on the treadmill ever, but walked a lot of it.  I think the difference between running outside and on the treadmill is that there's no rate limit when I'm controlling my own speed.  Pacing isn't something I know how to do yet - so I run all out until I can't breathe any more.  Let me tell you it's not easy getting this 200+ pound body to run at all, so running at full speed (1 mile an hour?  HA) gets me out of breath easily.  On the treadmill, the machine limits how fast I run, so I'm able to finish all of my timed runs.  So, the bottom line is I went further than normal, but I'm not satisfied that I finished day 2 of week 3.  I'm going to have to do that one again tomorrow.  I'm feeling pretty discouraged about the whole thing.  I made commitments to "run" in these "events" and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but, I'm at least still trying and I'm going to give myself a good pat on the back for actually going out and doing it while I've been on the road. 

Spent some time on the swings at the playground along the jogging route after my "run".  I love swings - I want one in my backyard.

Eating today was pretty good, too.  Had yogurt, a banana and half of a sort of fruit shake for breakfast - while enjoying the view off of my balcony.

 (didn't eat the trail mix)

Had a turkey sandwich for lunch and a salad topped with grilled chicken for dinner - actually on the plane.  I have to say, it wasn't half bad for airline food.

Had some jolly ranchers while I was on the plane - not the greatest thing but everything gets so dried out when I'm flying.  I'll have to plan on that next time and find something else to have while I'm in the plane.

The debates were tonight.  I'm not sad that I missed them.  I'll watch them later - by myself and without all the talking head commentary.  It feels like voting anymore is like voting for the lesser of the two evils.

After I got ready this morning, I called for a taxi.  How unreliable.  They showed up early, left before the time they were due to arrive and then never returned or if they did, I wasn't around to see them.  I got on my trusty little iphone and found a taxi company and called a different one.  Was late to my visit because of this.  Will never not rent a car again.

The taxi drive was this very sweet, older, Muslim man.  He was about one of the nicest men I've ever met.  He wants me to call him when Stew and I go out to San Diego for vacation - he said he'd show us all of the neat, non tourtisty, things.  I think I'm going to take him up on that.  He was just so awesome - it's not every day you meet people like that.  He didn't even turn the meter on for our trip back to the airport, but I insisted on paying him anyway.  It was a nice gesture and I'm sure from what he told me of his background he didn't really need the fare - I mean he sat and waited for me at my site while I did my visit because he didn't want to get another fare and not be back at the time he said he would be - but I insisted that he take the money anyway - with a really good tip for just being an awesome guy!

The site I visited today was great.  They knew their stuff.  I mean I understand the reasons why we do Pre-Study visits but at big research centers they're kind of more just checking off the boxes since you assume that the centers know what they're doing.  (We don't assume in clinical research which is precisely why we do the pre study visit.)  I thought the campus was great - they offer shuttle service to their patients in these little golf carts - this one is named Minnie.

And here's a fountain they had there - if I could have figured out a way to steal this and get it home, I would have taken it for mom.

All of the plane rides on this trip have had some heart in my throat moments.  I just love flying over the Rocky Mountains - not!  And tonight there were really severe thunderstorms going on.  I think it's kind of fascinating to watch the lightning flash below you - others find it frightening, not me.  Which brings a thought to mind of what my new Muslim friend told me about his beliefs.  Now, seriously, I'm an ignorant person when it comes to his faith.  I honestly know nothing about it.  I was going to take a class at the local community college but the timing didn't work with my schedule.  I find the Islamic faith interesting and I want to learn much more about it since I really don't understand it and don't want to listen to any of the hot air purveyors on the news tell me what it is, but he told me that he believes that when we're born the day we are going to die is already foretold.  So there's nothing we can do about it.  We just live the in between times the best that we can.  Sure as hell does away with the fear of death, really, if I can't do anything about it, which, in my ADD way brings me back to flying.  I can't control it, so I don't worry about it.

I watched Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp on my way from San Diego to Denver - strange movie, but, I mean, it's Tim Burton, what do you want?  Good message about family in it, I thought.  It was a good way to pass the time.

Tried to watch the movie they were playing on the trip from Denver to Baltimore (Moonrise Kingdom) but it was so weird I couldn't continue to watch it.  The cast was pretty promising, Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Bill Murray - but the weirdness factor just completely ruined it for me.  I couldn't get into it.  IDMB describes it as, "Set on an island off the coast of New England in the 1960s, as a young boy and girl fall in love they are moved to run away together. Various factions of the town mobilize to search for them and the town is turned upside down -- which might not be such a bad thing."  Just not for me.

All the flights were booked solid this trip with the exception of the last one - Denver to Baltimore - had the whole row to myself.  Except for the fact that the guy in front of me had his seat reclined and basically his head in my lap, it was pretty cool. 

Baggage unloaded quickly and I made my way home where I found Stitch waiting for me.  I couldn't sleep, so I started a scrapbook page and then gave up with that because my brain is tired - so now I'm going to try to go to sleep.  Here's hoping I can fall asleep.  I have a lot I want to get done tomorrow, or I guess, later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment